[Chicago] OT: Data recovery

Brian Curtin brian at python.org
Thu Oct 17 18:30:11 CEST 2013

On Thu, Oct 17, 2013 at 10:30 AM, JP Bader <jp at zavteq.com> wrote:
> Hey everyone,
>
> This is way off topic to ChiPy-ness, but since we enjoy geeking out, I'm
> wondering if any hardware experts can suggest a good place to get data off
> of physically damaged external HDD's? Preferably in Chicago, but if it's a
> reliable place, shipping the devices could work as well.

I heard a lot of good things about OnTrack and sent a drive to them,
but mine was too badly damaged to be fixed - some part melted, another
part flew off and destroyed the platters.
http://www.krollontrack.com/data-recovery/ -- they have a location in
Minnesota that got back to me a day or two after they received the
drive. I think it was $50 to have them evaluate it in a clean room.