[Chicago] ChiPy is Awesome

Yarko Tymciurak yarkot1 at gmail.com
Wed Sep 4 23:57:46 CEST 2013

Brian -

If we'd had time, we could have worked out an ansible (which is what
they're using in edx) install on rack/openstack, which would be cool - but
maybe that's a topic for a project night.

Right now, I've got a dev-server VM and a deployment (ansible) instance vm
on my machine.
What I want to do for _my_ talk would be:
- develop for the platform (dev server) / hack;
- develop courseware and test courseware extensions (xblocks) on a
deployment instance, in VM;
- deploy (to the two openstack scenarios:  University, e.g.
opensciencedatacloud & Rackspace - both openstack)

I think I'm going to cover an overview:
- a brief history of "courseware" (since it involves python),
- current open source options (including edx),
and then get into edx:
- a short arch/structural overview;
then the first two bullets above for how to setup (should I bring USB
sticks?) and the different modes of development:
- django development server instance (and debugging);  for working the
platform, extensions;
- deployment / ansible VM instance;  for developing courseware (and
resources for getting your feet wet in that);

That could be a setup for some project nights on the last two bullets:

- get things up (basic) for OpenStack/Rackspace;
- get things up for basic courseware;
- add monitoring etc. for OpenStack/Rackspace;
   - show some test deploys w/ the developer tiers, register a bunch of
people on that;
- run some xblock development to extend the authoring experience (for any
who care about that);

Regards,
- Yarko