[Chicago] [ANN] <3 This Thursday (12th) at Braintree: our best meeting ever

Brian Ray brianhray at gmail.com
Mon Sep 9 18:08:09 CEST 2013

RSVP here => http://chipy.org

We <3 Braintree. And we <3 our presenters:

Brian Curtin:* Brian is a director of the Python Software Foundation, PSF
Communications Officer, leader of the PSF Sprints Committee, and active in
whatever other PSF related projects he can get his hands on.*

Yarko Tymciurak: *A Research Programmer, Biostatistics Lab, Biological
Sciences Division at **University of
Chicag<http://www.linkedin.com/company/3881?trk=prof-exp-company-name>
o who develops mostly in Python. A PyCon Conference Organizer. *

When: 7 PM Thursday September 12th, 2013
Where: Braintree 111 North Canal Street #455, Chicago, IL 60606

Braintree, we <3 u too. Thank you for sponsoring 100% of this meeting:
food, drink, and location. If I ever need Python friendly online businesses
process for credit card payments, I will call you first.

RSVP here => http://chipy.org

Topics:

   - *Post djangocon: An overview of edX*
   (0:30:00 Minutes)
   By: yarko
   edx is a major django application serving huge numbers of students for
   MIT, Harvard, Stanford, Berkely, and more. - A brief history of
   Computer-Based Instruction (python has a role); - incomplete survey of
   current open-source CBI; - edX: how's it different / what's it's rough
   structure, what (besides django/python) is involved; - edX: hacking the
   platform (django development); - edX: hacking courses; a deployment-level
   VM, and how to get started there; - finally: future topics: deployment;
   what this can't do (maybe) and why; - wrapup: call for interest & edx
   project night(s); I'll try to have some USBs for anyone who want to try one
   of the edX VMs during the talk
   - *Set it, and forget it! Auto Scale on Rackspace*
   By: Brian Curtin
   Rackspace is rolling out a new service to allow your cloud to scale on
   its own, called Auto Scale. Built on Monitoring, Auto Scale allows you to
   grow or shrink your fleet of resources as demand changes. pyrax, a Python
   package for working with OpenStack-based clouds like Rackspace's, just
   released Auto Scale and Monitoring support with version 1.5.0. I'll show
   how you can use pyrax to deploy servers and automatically add or remove
   them based on their usage.
   - *What's Love Got to do with It? / Love: for techies*
   (0:15:00 Minutes)
   By: yarko
   What you think Love is - is (probably) wrong. The correct metaphor /
   definition for live will make much more sense to the software person. In
   fact, it will help with team building and design too. Yup. Grab a beer.
   I'll tell you a story about how this evolved (turing machine example), how
   and where evolution selected it, and why it works - and how it works for
   approaching problems (design) too. Then I'll lay out the "api" (functional
   description). Don't take it too seriously. You couldn't have known. Now you
   will. Cheers!

Did I already mention, RSVP here => http://chipy.org
--
Brian Ray