[Chicago] Open Source Comes to Campus, for Chicago women at UIC and beyond

sheila miguez shekay at pobox.com
Mon Sep 16 19:47:16 CEST 2013

Hi everyone,

I’m working with OpenHatch and UIC’s Women in Computer Science to throw an
event introducing Chicago-area women to free and open source software.
It’s a chance for attendees to learn about the tools open source projects
use, to contribute to active projects, and to meet other women in the
Chicago area who are interested in free software.

The event is on Wednesday, September 25th and Thursday, September 26th.
Our hosts at UIC have graciously opened their doors to students throughout
the area, and I thought students in ChiPy might like to attend.

Here is the official announcement:

*

On Wednesday, September 25th and Thursday, September 26th, OpenHatch and
UIC’s Women in Computer Science are hosting an open source software
immersion event for women in the Chicago area. We invite you to join us!
You can sign up here:
http://chicago.openhatch.org/

Wed 9/25 is the tutorials day: you'll learn about version control, how open
source projects communicate, the history and ethics of open source, and
hear from professionals who contribute to open source in their day jobs in
a career panel.

Thu 9/26 is the projects day: you'll work hands-on with mentors to select a
task in an open source project that you can fix and contribute a change to
that community. (Maybe you'll even decide to keep working with them
afterward!)

And throughout both evenings we'll feed you, get to know you, and talk with
you about opportunities for students in open source.

You don’t need to be a programmer to contribute to open source, or to
attend and enjoy our event. Most open source projects are also in need of
designers, translators, documenters, bug-finders and testers.

Open source software -- software that is shared freely and available to
build upon -- has become part of our daily lives. Popular projects like
WordPress, Firefox, Adium, and Ubuntu have millions of users. Open source
participation is one way to gain real-world skills and make connections
that will last you through your career. Volunteer staff will include
professionals and academics who use open source daily.

The event is open to all women students in the greater Chicago area.