[Chicago] Making Website for a Python Class

Ross Heflin heflin.rosst at gmail.com
Tue Sep 24 20:47:00 CEST 2013

> Worked like a charm. Thank you so much!

You're quite welcome.

> I am honestly lost in the sea of different options to create a site

Welcome to the world of today, there's a billion options and I have yet to
pick one myself.

>  I know python well but don't know ruby at all.

I'd recommend just going with a python-based solution so you only have one
toolset (a devil you already know) to troubleshoot quickly if/when it falls
over.

> Is there a step-by-step tutorial for newbies for how to create a site
with jekyll and couple it with a github repo?

If by 'couple with a github repo' you mean hosting on github pages this
appears after a cursory search: http://jekyllrb.com/docs/github-pages/
full-on jekyll quickstart is here: http://jekyllrb.com/docs/quickstart/ (I
should hope it covers some kind of git/github workflow during it!)

My 2c:
Do some experiments with jekyll and see if it does what you need. HOWEVER
I'd also strongly recommend the two links sent earlier by Vasily:
course: https://github.com/vals/scilife-python-course
retrospective: http://nxn.se/post/48156686703/teaching-python-at-scilifelab

Since:
1) the author had to skin a similar cat
2) he used IPython notebooks which really are a great way to LEARN python
tool / library usage
3) he bothered to writeup a retrospective and make it available, so he's
hopefully got valuable python-course-teaching knowledge to bestow.

additionally here's a half-hour video on IPython Notebooks from previous
ChiPy for your reference:
http://pyvideo.org/video/2195/ipython-notebook-demo
you'll find quite a few more from previous Pycons at the same site.

I wish you luck in your endeavor, the time has come for me to get back to
work as I've probably spent too long on this :)

-Ross