[Chicago] Good readings on the history of computing

Yarko Tymciurak yarkot1 at gmail.com
Thu Sep 26 06:13:09 CEST 2013

On Wed, Sep 25, 2013 at 10:51 PM, Yarko Tymciurak <yarkot1 at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Sep 25, 2013 at 9:23 PM, Martin Maney <maney at two14.net> wrote:
>
>> On Wed, Sep 25, 2013 at 08:00:01AM -0700, kirby urner wrote:
>> > Good computer history and a classic worth collecting (I don't have it):
>> >
>> > 'Computer Lib / Dream Machines' by Ted Nelson.
>>
>> I hope I still have the copy I got back in the seventies - amazingly
>> weird, fun book.
>>
>> Three titles I've learned from and enjoyed over the decades:
>>
>> Yourdon's _Classics in Software Engineering_ (which has been passing
>> in and out of print at odd intervals) is an amazing collection of true
>> foundational works, from "Gotos Considered Harmful" to the classic
>> paper that presents the case for using only a few flow control
>> structures (Bohm & Jacopini, I think; the title escapes me).  And
>> Knuth's joyfully contrary "Structured Programming with Goto
>> Statements"  And much more.
>>
>> Bentley's _Programming Pearls_ is a slim volume (and "More ..." is even
>> thinner) and filled with gems from the famous ACM column.  As long as
>> I've already crammed two titles under this heading, I shall complete
>> the trifecta by mentioning "Writing Efficient Programs" by the same
>> author.
>>

> Yeah - Jon was great, as were his articles (insight); I'll second that!

... and gee, Jon is my age too...

Ok fans, here ya go:   http://netlib.bell-labs.com/cm/cs/pearls/

And the kind of overflow bug described here:
http://googleresearch.blogspot.com/2006/06/extra-extra-read-all-about-it-nearly.html

was the same sort of thing which sourced back to Berkeley code for the C
profiler, which
also overflowed and caused profiler timing errors in both the SunOS and
SYSV  source trees
(I know - I fixed it;  somewhere I still have my paper from unisys on it;
 ah, those were the
 days - on the POSIX committees, rubbing elbows w/ ... but I digress...)

Here's where he's at now (I had to update this wiki with his current page):
http://c2.com/cgi/wiki?JonBentley