[Chicago] Good readings on the history of computing

sheila miguez shekay at pobox.com
Thu Sep 26 16:21:34 CEST 2013

On Wed, Sep 25, 2013 at 11:13 PM, Yarko Tymciurak <yarkot1 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Bentley's _Programming Pearls_ is a slim volume (and "More ..." is even
>>> thinner) and filled with gems from the famous ACM column.  As long as
>>> I've already crammed two titles under this heading, I shall complete
>>> the trifecta by mentioning "Writing Efficient Programs" by the same
>>> author.
>>>

>> Yeah - Jon was great, as were his articles (insight); I'll second that!
>>

> ... and gee, Jon is my age too...
>
> Ok fans, here ya go:   http://netlib.bell-labs.com/cm/cs/pearls/

Oh wow, that is nice. I was going to mention Programming Pearls if no one
had. I have the first book. I didn't realize they were all online.

I also have Computer Lib/Dream Machines by Ted Nelson. It is fascinating.

Coders at Work, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coders_at_work , is too
recent to be called a classic, but I enjoyed it.

Dreaming in Code, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dreaming_in_Code , is also
a relatively recent book about a software project and its history that I
enjoyed.

Some of the books recommended on the Software Carpentry page discuss the
history of long lived projects. http://software-carpentry.org/biblio.html

--
sheila