[Chicago] Community/Social Alliance Help

Brian Curtin brian at python.org
Wed Feb 5 19:41:41 CET 2014

On Wed, Feb 5, 2014 at 11:49 AM, Brian Ray <brianhray at gmail.com> wrote:

> I use to send ChiPy announcements to a bunch of *friendly* usergroups and
> schools. Like College listserv lists, social media sites, Linux user
> groups, Big data groups.... others who might be interested and not find it
> annoying. I have stopped doing that in recent years because: A) we did not
> need it and B) I did not have time.
>
> I think we should take a swing at it again. We should be picky and always
> shoot for quality over quantity. Does anyone want to take up the rungs as
> our Community Leader?  I would like to hand some specific instructions for
> the first meeting or two... then let you take it from there.

I really dislike a lot of things about this email.

While I completely understand and appreciate point B, point A goes against
what a user group is typically there for: to be a group for people who use
a certain thing. I've never heard of anyone not sharing their announcements
with other groups because "we didn't need it." Who is the "we" in "a group
of Python using people located in Chicago" that didn't need it?

I agree that that ChiPy should take a swing at wider dissemination of news
again, but "quality over quantity" is again missing the point. Plus, what
does that even mean? What is a quality group versus a non-quality group?
Why does it matter what one person thinks about the quality of the group
with respect to them showing up and watching or speaking at a meeting? Is
there a reason why you wouldn't send news to a group you deem to be more of
a quantity than a quality?

If you want to share announcements, share announcements with everyone who
can benefit from them.