[Chicago] Director of Outreach to be named shortly

sheila miguez shekay at pobox.com
Thu Feb 6 15:21:53 CET 2014

On Thu, Feb 6, 2014 at 7:34 AM, Brian Ray <brianhray at gmail.com> wrote:

> I found a Director of Outreach. They will be named shortly. It is a 6
> month gig and we will see how it goes.

Here is my stance on this.

A decision like this should happen openly and involve discussion with chipy
members. Consider Pumping Station: One as an example. The concept of
membership there is less fuzzy than it is with chipy, but ps1 does serve as
an example of a community where there are positions with specific
responsibilities as well as "area hosts". For board positions, such as
treasurer, director, vp, etc., members nominate other members or
themselves, there is discussion on the mailing list and in person, and
before a vote each nominee talks to the group.

For area hosts, the board will ask members to apply for an area. For
example, this happened recently with the tool cage area. People are able to
attend board meetings until it is time for the board to vote.

I like this type of model more than I like the model of one person making a
decision by fiat.

--
sheila