[Chicago] Really??!!

sheila miguez shekay at pobox.com
Tue Feb 11 22:20:02 CET 2014

On Tue, Feb 11, 2014 at 3:00 PM, Yarko Tymciurak <yarkot1 at gmail.com> wrote:

> If I'm overstepping my place in the next few lines, do let me know. I've
>> been skimming this discussion for the past few days.
>> There should be a Code of Conduct, Sheila, can you spearhead that? Brian
>> Curtin, I believe you had an opinion on something simular to this?
>>

> My opinion (having had a few small edits to the PyCon COC) - A Code
> prevents behaviors, because it sets rules up front, and actions become
> simple - "you already knew".
>
> PyCon Code of Conduct was adopted, and has been written as one of the best
> around - adopted by other organizations.
>
> ChiPy could easily take the PyCon COC as it's own, or review and make
> parts specific - or do that as a set of iterations.
> This is not hard - just need to make a decision to make it so.
>
> Done?  Just decide - that's all.

My experience with CoC was that I didn't have one for the first workshop
because it didn't occur to me that we needed one. Something came up, and I
realized that having a CoC in place would have been helpful. I obsessed
over making sure everything was handled properly, I wanted to be fair, I
wanted to make sure I understood everything -- in hindsight, having
something in place would have made everything run smoother.

Things worked outl. The person I asked not to return respected our wishes.

Here is what we settled on for the workshop. It has some specific language
about running a workshop.
https://openhatch.org/wiki/Chicago_Python_Workshop/Code_of_Conduct

I do really admire Chicago FreeGeek's code. It's short and to the point. It
has some specifics about that group that don't exactly fit -- we don't have
staff, for example.
https://github.com/freegeekchicago/fgc-docs/blob/master/code-of-conduct.md

When working the details for the workshop CoC, we looked at the Chicago
FreeGeek code as well as Pycon US and Pycon CAs code.

--
sheila