[Chicago] Chipy Thursday Meetup

Brian Curtin brian at python.org
Wed Feb 12 03:57:12 CET 2014

On Tue, Feb 11, 2014 at 7:36 PM, Japhy Bartlett <japhy at pearachute.com> wrote:
> No for real, what if you wrote python instead of legalese with your finite
> time.

What if we don't want to? I do that all day long.

> What is the direst, apocalyptic, worst case scenario if Chipy doesn't have a
> code of conduct?

It is completely dismantled because someone does something that gets
it blacklisted, booted from this infrastructure, without options for a
meeting space, without users, etc.

> I'm saying, honestly, in my opinion, the general metric for success of a
> recurring event is attendance, and a group legalese discussion is not going
> to bring the boys to the yard.

Maybe this whole discussion ends up with a complete failure of the
group, or maybe it ends up in a smashing success, but no discussion is
surely not the correct course of action. This sounds an awful lot like
when people say "JFDI" and "show me the code" without appreciating the
problem and just wanting a solution.

> I have a dream, that one day, this list is about python again.

Since we're using quotes: "If you build it, they will come."

If you just want this to be over with, filter the threads on your
client. comp.lang.python is 100% Python code discussion.