[Chicago] Chipy Thursday Meetup

Rob Kapteyn robkapteyn at gmail.com
Wed Feb 12 04:35:45 CET 2014

Yup.  This meme sucks.

I've been going to ChiPy meetings since 2004, and I agree ChiPy is
special among tech groups.
The issue of governance has come up before, and IIRC, we pretty much
agreed that -- as intelligent
adults with common interests -- we could spontaneously auto-organize on
a deliberately Anarchist model.

Back in the beginning, it was simple because there was no money involved.
Meeting space was always donated, web server donated, etc, etc.
The only place where "the State" got involved was the chipy.org domain
name registration;
IMHO -- this is the only thing that pushed Brian (reluctantly) into
becoming a sort of BDFL.
Things are more complicated today, because of the money that recruiters
give us for food, subsidies we give
to students to go to PyCon, etc.
I support and applaud Brian's move to hand off as much of this as is
practical to the PSF.

sheila asked:

    "Other python user groups have a good model of governance and are
    transparent, for example, the Boston Python User Group. They have
    multiple activities and their group is not just about one night a
    month. *I have felt that Chipy is more than just a group that meets
    once a month. Am I mistaken?*

IMHO, organizationally, that is all we are -- and that is a wonderful
and beautiful thing.
Anarchy can work -- Intelligent people can create a POWERFUL community
without "governance".
I believe that this is why ChiPy has grown and earned the reputation of
being the best of all of the Python User's Groups.

I've been involved in lots of other interest groups, and I really
believe that elections and "boards" just ruin them.
The only people who volunteer to take on the responsibilities of
governance are arrogant or uninteresting,
or worse -- people who just want something to put on their otherwise
pathetic resume.

We don't need a board to adopt a Code of Conduct.
+1 that we accept the PSF code.
*Anyone violating that code will be ignored or ridiculed.*

I searched my archive, remembering that back into 2002, Peter started a
thread on this list about "Incorporating, etc.?":

    On 09/06/2012 04:07 PM, Peter Fein wrote:
     > Hi all-
     >
     > Looking for some advice/a howto on setting up a solo dev consulting
     > shop - getting a lot of inquiries, but my sense is that it's easier
     > for clients to pay corp-to-corp instead of a W2/1099. Need direction
     > on logistics - incorporation, billing, taxes, etc.. If anyone's got a
     > book/account/lawyer to recommend, I'd be grateful. Or if you just
    want
     > sit down for an hour and explain it to me, I'll make it worth your
     > while...

I can see that he learned all about it, and I think he is a bit
over-enthusiastic about it all.
When he used the word "fraudulent" I think he crossed a line.

If it wasn't for his previous contributions to the community, I would
move to ignore him.
Instead, I stop with this ridicule ;)
Maybe he wants to apologize or revise his wording ?

-Rob