[Chicago] Chipy Thursday Meetup

Peter Fein pete at wearpants.org
Wed Feb 12 15:36:03 CET 2014

On Feb 11, 2014 9:36 PM, "Rob Kapteyn" <robkapteyn at gmail.com> wrote:
> The issue of governance has come up before, and IIRC, we pretty much
agreed that -- as intelligent
> adults with common interests -- we could spontaneously auto-organize on a
deliberately Anarchist model.

I'm 100% with you there, and my preference would be to return to a
unstructured model. But if we are going to have formal structure, I'd like
it to be  decent, transparent & minimal.

> IMHO -- this is the only thing that pushed Brian (reluctantly) into
becoming a sort of BDFL.
> Things are more complicated today, because of the money that recruiters
give us for food, subsidies we give
> to students to go to PyCon, etc.

Its a little more complicated than this, because Brian's been the driving
force for fundraising to begin with. We could always have refused to take
the money.

Its no longer a BDFL when you have a formal structure like this, with
officials who control the purse strings. And its been feeling a lot more D
than B lately. ;-(

> When he [Peter] used the word "fraudulent" I think he crossed a line.

Perhaps "sketchy, deeply unethical, and legally shaky" would have been a
better choice of words and I apologize for using the harsher term. See this
among many similar citations
http://www.avvo.com/legal-answers/if-an-llc-in-il-is--involuntarily-dissolved--are-t-161641.htmlAnd
since it seems to need clarification, IANAL ofc.