[Chicago] ChiPy Organizers Meeting

Brian Ray brianhray at gmail.com
Sat Feb 22 05:56:10 CET 2014

On Fri, Feb 21, 2014 at 10:58 AM, Jennifer Leadbetter <jleadbet at gmail.com>wrote:

> 1) "Diversity isn't just about skin color and gender. I may a white male,
> but I'm definitely different from other people in the group"

We have questions on our survey that will give us a clue on diversity.  If
you think it fails, provide better questions and we will incorporate them
in the next survey. I think you'll find the results fascinating when we
publish them next week. We can address specific areas based on these
results.

> 2) "Our group is completely friendly. When I came to the group I was
> totally welcomed."

I had a thought once on how to increase how welcoming we are to new
members. It had to do with moving around a lot to different venues.
However, I am getting older and tired. Finding interesting venues that
welcome different people is hard. Especially venues that are free and big
enough for us all. One of my favorite meetings was in my basement.
Regardless, it always feels like someone gets left out.

I have been organizing ChiPy for over 10 years now. I have missed only a
hand full of meetings. There have been times recently I have not felt
welcome. Sure, we need to fix this. I do not know how. I don't have the
magic sauce. All I can do is hope we fix it.

We recently have welcomed our own outreach person. She does a better job
than me at that. Let's see how it goes. Beyond a specific person, i guess
we all could do a better job being friendly. point taken.

3) "You just need to introduce yourself more."

> I like doing this. We try to do it often. It's not always practical. I
fear sounding like I am lecturing here; however, if you come to ChiPy
meetings more often you would already know we do this from time to time. My
point is to continue to participate. Be sure you come often so you get a
full breadth of what ChiPy has to offer. I'll be the first to admit it,
sometimes our meetings are flops, I take full responsibility for that--at
least up to this Sunday I will. Now its going to be everyone's job to make
meetings the best meetings ever.

I wonder what people on this list think of name tags?

> And now I'll go back to being a silent lurker. :D

Still waters run deep.

Last note on organizers meeting in regards to lurkers and those watching
from far. I totally want to make organizer's meetings open to the public;
however, we are at a bit of crisis still. Right now we need to Save Farris!
I would much rather to just restore order right now and address specific
short fallings as we go. Opening up an organizer's meeting that is public
right now will be too much for me to manage @@ Sorry folks. My super powers
usually end in ".py" and besides I know from years of experience how
everyone get's highly excited one month and two, three months from now I
find myself sitting in an organizer's meeting with just myself. No, we need
more commitment and organization this time. This list has already spoken.

Cheers, Brian