[Chicago] Anyone using Python 3?

David Rock david at graniteweb.com
Fri Jan 3 00:41:44 CET 2014

* Philip Doctor <diomedestydeus at gmail.com> [2013-12-31 17:27]:
> ... This comes from having accountability for what's on the systems and the
> need to be able to ask Red Hat for help if something on the system breaks.
>
> I don't know what kind of deal you have with Red Hat, but can't you just
> altinstall python on RHEL?  This should leave the system install untouched,
> so from RH's perspective python should look like just another business
> application you're running, not something they either have to support, or
> impacts the system build?  Or is there a further impact here I'm missing?

For starters, Software collections is a RHEL 6 only offering.  The
majority of my environment is still RHEL 5, so I can't use it.  What's
worse, there are several hundred RHEL 4 systems that I have to deal with
that force using an even older python 2 than I'd like.  Python is also
not used as a development tool, so custom installs would be for my
benefit only, and the level of coding I'm doing doesn't require anything
exotic.

Additionally, getting back to the question at hand, there's nothing in
Python 3 that provides an impetus to get OFF of python 2. Could I create
an alt install of python 3?  Sure.  Is it worth it?  Definitely not.
Getting in the business of maintaining a custom build of python just to
have Python 3 on all the systems, just for myself, (that will be
increasingly difficult to maintain across the entire environment) is
time taken away from more pressing issues.  It doesn't make sense to
code in Python 3 only to be put in a position where my code won't work
on any of the production systems.

--
David Rock
david at graniteweb.com