[Chicago] I'm lonely presenter

Lukasz Szybalski szybalski at gmail.com
Mon Jan 6 07:08:38 CET 2014

On Sun, Jan 5, 2014 at 5:48 PM, Nick Bennett <nick at goggl.es> wrote:

> I'd love for an excuse to get up and talk, but I just don't know what
> would be interesting to an audience. I'll just say a few of the things I've
> been fiddling with, someone speak up if any of this would be interesting to
> hear about for a few minutes.
>
> Recently I've been distracted from ChiPy by going to the Open Gov Hack
> Nights (http://opengovhacknight.org/) where I've been able to help Alex
> Soble with his Divvy Bikes-related Chrome extension Divvy Brags (
> https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/divvybrags/obpfmeilmeicjimgkpekfgmaoelbbfpf)
> by writing a Python script to get the pairwise distances between Divvy bike
> stations from the Google Maps API using "by the bike" distances. The first
> script I wrote actually used the MapQuest Open API:
> https://gist.github.com/tothebeat/7783079 I complicated that script into
> a little project to get pairwise distances from Google Maps or MapQuest
> using the distanceMatrix request correctly:
> https://github.com/tothebeat/pairwise-geo-distances
>
> I also dove into some Roadway Fatalities data, after seeing one too many
> of those "there have been 900 deaths on the highway this year" from the
> USHTA's FARS (enough initialisms?) which is available in DBF and SAS file
> formats. I used a DBF-reading Python module that is never going to be on
> the top 100 of Pypi downloads, and translated all roadway fatality data
> provided for the years 1975 to 2012 into CSV format. All if this is on
> Github and there's a little automatic page for it:
> http://tothebeat.github.io/fatal-car-crashes/

Above talk would be very interesting if you willing to talk about it.

I wonder if there are people attending that would maybe wanted to talk
about how to color code zipcodes, or how to put 1000 points on the map
withing these zipcodes, using google maps API or some open stack. I always
seem to get stuck on displaying a zipcode boundary on the map.

Thanks
Lucas

--
http://lucasmanual.com/ <http://lucasmanual.com/blog/>