[Chicago] regular expression headache

Robert Spelich rlspelich at gmail.com
Sat Jan 11 23:47:33 CET 2014

Can anyone offer me a suggestion as to why a regular expression that
validates on a testing tool would not match on the same string when run in
a script or directly in the interpreter? I used 2 different online tools,
one a general expression tool and one Python specific. They both matched,
when run locally it does not match.

I am using an re from a cookbook to match addresses in a database that
start with a PO Box address. I am using 2.7. I am stumped.

po_box = re.compile('^(?:Post (?:Office )?|P[. ]?O\.? )?Box\b')

Thanks in advance if anyone can help me out.

-Bob S.