[Chicago] Status of recruiters on this list

Yarko Tymciurak yarkot1 at gmail.com
Mon Mar 3 22:58:48 CET 2014

It feels like I'm either really missing something, or there's something
basic wrong here.

On Mon, Mar 3, 2014 at 2:31 PM, Brian Ray <brianhray at gmail.com> wrote:

> If this is the posting from the other day. This is why it was denied.
>
> The resumes gathered would be in their global database, which violates
our rule about jobs only from Chicago

I can get behind this, sort of... and by sort of, I mean it should be up to
the person who is looking for work to be aware, notified and in control,
and I think it's ok for Chipy to stipulate that only-Chicago jobs are what
we publicize.   After that, if someone who submits is asked "do you want me
to look broader for you?"  frankly, that's none of Chipy's business
(inappropriate coupling).    Enlighten me if I'm missing somthing.

> The resumes gathered would also go to non-Python positions along with the
Python position

While I think a position which uses python is fine, anyone worth their
salt/ with a CS or Engineering degree has broader skills than python (often
_much_ broader).   While it may seem like a good idea in the interests of
ChiPy that "only python positions" - I think in general this is a
disservice to people who do / would attend ChiPy.

As a darn simple example, consider a web app position:  it will almost
automatically include a team of non-python work:  JS  & some db, minimally,
along with some devops probably.

A more significant example is anything utilizing Open edX:   that system
has node, ruby, django, python, ....  all interacting...

*sigh*

This 2nd bullet point I think is myopic and ill-advised.

Sort of like saying "you need good unix/linux command line knowledge, and
bash programming skills"  for "our position", and having someone say "NO!
 We'll only take job posts for _only_ BASH programmers!

Bwahahaha  ensues...

Shell scripting, like python scripting, is a general purpose skill - and
professionals I would hope have much broader skills than just specializing
in Python, even if their current or desired position might emphasize that.

> The poster stated they are involved with the "Open Source Community," and
they were not.

Why does this matter?

> They would not give us a referral fee or help sponsor an event at any
time in the future

Ok - so no fee, then show up at a meeting (don't use our mail list)... I
suppose I can get this.

> I corresponded with a corporate contact, and they apologized and agreed
we should deny the request
> Only was it after they were denied did they state they were referred to
someone on the list. I asked "who", and they did not respond. Had they said
it was "Brian Curtain" I would have privately told you as well why they
were denied.

> Lastly, we are a little overwhelmed right now, but if you want to offer
suggestions or help on managing the mailing list, feel free. We will
consider those when we review that action item in the coming months.

> Yours, Brian

As for Skip's note - I don't follow.   Why wouldn't I want to meet a
recruiter or someone hiring at a Chipy?  Casually?

Focusing on "Job Board" is sort of like saying "Oh - we already have one
shop in Chicago doing Python coding - we don't want any others!" - that
makes as much sense as Skip's suggestion.  The more avenues, the better -
eliminate ineffective channels ok.

The only reason I could see is "it's a pain, and we don't want
headhunter-trolls here..." --- but maybe that just suggests addendum to
code-of-conduct.

If we help chipy people that's good, that's community behavior.

That's my take.

- Yarko