[Chicago] Civic Hack Day This Weekend

Joe Germuska joe at germuska.com
Fri May 30 23:15:59 CEST 2014

Just FYI, some of those events have already passed.  As far as I know, there are two events this weekend: at Adler, which Jason mentioned, and the one at kCura in the Loop, which was Randy’s link.

http://civichack.adlerplanetarium.org/2014/
http://www.meetup.com/Illinois-Open-Technology/events/177481352/?a=cr1_grp&rv=cr1&_af_eid=177481352&_af=event

I’ll be at the kCura event on Saturday, at least. If anyone is looking for something to work on, our Census Reporter project is a Django app, and we’ve laid out a conceptually simple challenge for folks looking for a project:
http://hackforchange.org/challenges/census-reporter/
https://github.com/censusreporter/censusreporter#about-census-reporter

Joe

On May 30, 2014, at 4:04 PM, Randy Baxley <randy7771026 at gmail.com> wrote:

> The National Day of Hacking has five locations in Chicago including the Adler one, one at Blue1647 or is it 37, the one below and two others.
>
> http://www.meetup.com/Illinois-Open-Technology/events/177481352/?a=cr1_grp&rv=cr1&_af_eid=177481352&_af=event
>
> Being old is fun and weird and scary.  I just lost the last of my Uncles a week ago and he was 97.  That would be another 35 years for me.  The Englewood Codes Project to me holds great promise not only for young folks but for all folks if we can get business owners to link up little servers along cities bus routes and other transportation routes get hooked up as they are here holds promise for projects like Visual CTA Chicago even if my particular project is not the one that takes hold.
>
> Programming projects, even open source very complicated projects should not be as hard as they are.  Building databases that mapped every well, every seismic line, all known oil and gas reserves and the basement of the earth went a lot faster than this.
>
> Randy
>

> On Fri, May 30, 2014 at 1:20 PM, Nick Bennett <nick271828 at gmail.com> wrote:
> The Civic Hack day looks really cool, unfortunately it looks like the Hacker and Problem Owner registration spots are sold out. Any idea whether attendance is relaxed enough that I could just crash the party?
>
> Nick Bennett
> github: tothebeat
> 224-392-2326
>

> On Fri, May 30, 2014 at 1:13 PM, Jason Wirth <wirth.jason at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hey guys,
>
> Just thought I'd share this.
>
> This weekend Adler is hosting the Civic Hack day.
> http://civichack.adlerplanetarium.org/2014/
>
> This event looks unique because there's a focus on youth participation and as a community, Python is an excellent language for learning **cough** Raspberry Pi, books like "Python For Kids", youth-focused events at PyCon **cough**.
>
> Best,
> Jason
>

> --
> Jason Wirth
>      213.986.5809
>
>     wirth.jason at gmail.com

Joe Germuska
Joe at Germuska.com * http://blog.germuska.com * http://twitter.com/JoeGermuska

"Learn to fear any church that fears drums." --Regie Gibson