[Chicago] Job opening at Northwestern U

Frank Duncan herbieman2000 at gmail.com
Wed Nov 26 17:48:10 CET 2014

I wanted to throw my in support as another employee of SESP (in the CCL).
Northwestern is a pretty great place at which to work in general, and my
time at the School of Education and Social Policy has been especially
enjoyable.  I absolutely second Matthew's statement about us having many
interesting projects with a lot of opportunity to implement them how you
like.  Since joining a year ago, I, or part of my team, has dabbled in
clojure, clojure script, coffeescript, dart, tested out multiple javascript
libraries, as well as maintaining our main codebase in scala in whatever
way we see fit (no crazy time demands that limit our ability to write
solid, expansive tests).  There has been an incredible amount of trust and
respect from our non technical partners which allows us to find the best
solution.

I've also found that there are quite a few benefits I had not been
expecting outside of that technical freedom: opportunity to work with
motivated students and mentor undergrads, getting an office with only one
officemate (with a door, that we can close, holy crap), first class
benefits of a massive organization (NU), schedule flexibility of a small
school within that organization, beautiful campus, and just generally being
surrounded by people who are here because they are really, really, really
excited to come into work (helping develop software in education in my
case).

I have found it to be more than Just Another Job.

Frank