[Chicago] Quick Poll: what editor or IDE do you use?

sheila miguez shekay at pobox.com
Wed Oct 15 19:07:23 CEST 2014

On Wed, Oct 15, 2014 at 11:30 AM, JP Bader <jp at zavteq.com> wrote:

> Depends on the team and project environment, but could be Sublime, vim, or
> IntelliJ...

I've used IntelliJ and Eclipse (both with a vi-esque plugin) when doing
Java work, and I've mostly used vim tricked out with all kinds of things
for doing python work. Every now and then I break out PyCharm (particularly
if I need to step through a debugger -- I have no mad pdb skills and need
the GUI)

Here is the ultimate post on customizing vim with IDE bells and whistles.
http://www.sontek.net/blog/2011/05/07/turning_vim_into_a_modern_python_ide.html

This is all indeed cool, and I use some of these; but you do need to keep
your basic vi skills up to par for when you log in to some place without
the customized environment.

Ps. Frank Duncan (he's the guy who's one the language shoot-outs when
talking about lisp) wrote a vim python module to give himself an IDE for
lisp projects rather than using emacs. truly inspiring. http://nekthuth.com/

shekay at pobox.com