[Chicago] New to python : Suggestions

Robare, Phillip (TEKSystems) proba at allstate.com
Fri Aug 21 23:38:21 CEST 2015

I guess the question is what exactly are you trying to learn?

Learning Python is not that hard if you already know how to program.  Learning to program (well) takes study, practice and time.  Learning web programming in python is not too hard if already know web programming. Based upon your requirements you will need to pick your web framework – Web2Py, Pyramid, Flask and Django are all alternatives. If you don’t already do web programming you will also have to learn HTML, CSS, and basic javascript programming.  If you want to do anything modern looking you will also have to master one or more javascript libraries like jQuery.  Be prepared, I think this journey will take you at least a year of hard work before you have learned enough to code your idea to a level where you will be ready to show it off.

A good resource for HTML, CSS and javascript is the W3Schools (http://www.w3schools.com/) that have both tutorial and reference material available for free.

Finally, if what you want to do is not really learn web programming, but instead you want to start a business based on your idea, there is a whole other set of skills you will need dealing with business and entrepreneurship.  If you want to go that route the first test of your skills is extracting enough investment money from friends and family to pay a programmer who has already gone through the learning programming path and is willing to partner with you to create your initial demo.

Phil Robare