[Chicago] New to python : Suggestions

kirby urner kirby.urner at gmail.com
Sat Aug 22 18:22:19 CEST 2015

On Fri, Aug 21, 2015 at 11:04 AM, Aswin kumar <programo.sapien at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hi Folks,
>
> I am new to python programming language and I would like to learn web
> programming in python.I have an idea(borrowing some ideas from Reddit) and
> I want to implement the idea in Python.I have started with the online
> edition of "Learn Python the hard way". Could anybody suggest me good
> resources for web programming in python?
>

> Also May I know when and where could be the next possible meet?
>
> Regards,
> Aswin.

An important consideration is *how* you want to implement your project, as
a solo coder, or in collaboration with others, the recommended way for
anything really big.

I never knock the skill set of the solo coder, my habitual / career mode
through many chapters.

In going from self-employed coder / developer with many clients, mostly not
using Python (I was groomed to work with proprietary software at first),
into a collaborative corporate environment at O'Reilly Media, I've had to
alter my notions of what coding is all about as an activity, taking in such
workflows as SCRUM and Github.

You may well be familiar with such lingo, but as someone who lived through
the first "PC revolution" as an adult, this was all new to me.

The project I'm looking at these days is an Open Source core for what I
call an Asynchronous Learning Engine (ALE, pun on free beer).

Say you want to teach Python to 30 people without anyone needing to fly
anywhere.  The important thing is getting student work to your inbox where
you, their mentor, evaluate it and send it back.

That's what we already have in-house and use daily (my day job is teaching
Python using a not open source version of ALE).  But could we transition to
EC2 instances on AWS running Ubuntu and make this all something on Github?

The prototype curriculum I'm working on is a separate project i.e. is
"content" for said ALE: a spiral through Python -> Java -> Clojure ->
Python... anod so on, continuing to go deeper in all three, starting in
high school for math credit.[1]  Great combo to later branch from if you
need to wrap your head around something new as this spiral covers a lotta
bases.

Kirby

More about ALE:
http://worldgame.blogspot.com/2015/07/pws-personal-workspace.html
(a month ago I was looking at Atom from Github as the default IDE for my
curriculum however my need for embedded REPL has brought me back to
Eclipse, what we're using now, with PyDev for Python and Counterclockwise
for Clojure -- IntelliJ and Emacs would be additional candidates).

[1] in some school systems with mandatory 3-years math for certificate
(diploma) it's now possible to take math courses with a lot of computer
science in them than in decades past, a reform occasioned by the surge in
STEM and feedback from the high tech sector (I'm actually Silicon Forest
based, only get to visit Chicago when I'm lucky -- was born there too).