[Chicago] [ChiPy] Meetup Cancelled: Django Study Group

Lane Campbell lane at strapr.com
Wed Dec 9 17:51:47 EST 2015

Brian,

Just a bit of history on why the Django SIG exists as it gets handed off.
The real person responsible for this starting is Richard Cornish.

There was a need for Richard's students (myself included) that were
attending the course called Friendly Django 101 he started.  The students
wanted to keep advancing ourselves outside of Richards classes.
Unfortunately there were only two of these courses, they were held at Doejo
and a coffee shop, but they ended there as Richard wasn't able to keep the
classes going.  I believe that the Friendly Django 101 courses were held
outside of Chipy.  I had never heard of Chipy when I started attending
these courses, I don't know if I belonged to Chipy even when I started this
study group.  I found Chipy Googling around to learn more about Python on
my time.

At first we had a few people who would show up regularly each month.  This
was due to me putting in the effort to send emails to everyone reminding
them about it happening.  Last summer I joined your mentor/mentee program
and you hired me for a student project.  About that time you asked if we
wanted to be affiliated and become a SIG.  I think that joining Chipy has
been great.  Yet, this group was always a bit different than everything
else.  Attendance has been low since winter began and especially since I
have had to cancel a couple of meetups because of travel/family.   I don't
think it helped that I've kept it informal and shied away from including
instructors or an agenda.  Chipy members have been looking for more
instruction rather than time set aside to learn on their own.  I started
the group to simply be a study group and to reserve time for learning
Python as a group.

If someone is to take on running the group they should follow Brian's
advice and be more of a mentor than a student.  I was never a good leader
for this group because I'm not a professional developer and was using it to
learn Django.  Others would show up and ask questions but I wasn't very
helpful all the time.  My friend Mark Graves would come by often and would
help out.  It seems his mentorship was felt by those who he helped.
However, Mark is a Web2py expert and not a Django expert so the group
became more of an overall python web framework group.  Which is still
awesome.  I'm glad that Mark was able to drop in so much.

Should anyone step up and lead this I would ask that you pick up where
Richard left off and offer real courses to new developers.  It's so badly
needed, there are so many great ideas trapped in the heads of people who
want to build them and online courses don't transfer knowledge quite as
well as in person classes: https://github.com/friendlydjango/friendly-101

Regards,
Lane Campbell
(312) 775-2632