[Chicago] [ANN] Best Ever Meeting this Thurs

Brian Ray brianhray at gmail.com
Tue Jan 6 00:50:30 CET 2015

Overall, those who took the mentorship program surveys gave an average of
9/10 stars. There will be a Starbucks gift card for one of those who were
picked presented during the meeting.

This month's topics are talks from those who participated in this program.
There will be a prize for the best presentation. The line up is below. This
will be a very great meeting. Perhaps... our best ever. Seriously folks,
don't miss this one. RSVP now...

RSVP http://www.chipy.org/

and/or http://www.meetup.com/_ChiPy_/

Thank you very much for Braintree for sponsoring the food at meeting.
Thanks SPACE by Doejo for hosting.

Next Meeting

*When:* Jan. 8, 2015, 7 p.m.

*Where:* SPACE by Doejo

444 N. Wabash, 5th Floor Chicago IL

Talks from Mentorship Program

   - *Python Mentors Lightning Talk – Chris & Rahul*
   (0:07:00 Minutes)
   By: Chris Foresman
   Chris and Rahul would be talking about making RESTful API with Python.
   Chris was an Associate Writer at Ars Technica and is currently a Senior
   Systems Engineer at Vokal. Rahul is pursuing his MS in Computer Science at
   Illinois Institute of Technology. Chris is @foresmac on Twitter and Rahul
   can be reached at https://www.linkedin.com/in/rahul013k
   - *Example app using Flask and pg8000 (Postgres) on Heroku*
   (0:07:00 Minutes)
   By: Tanya Schlusser
   We walk through the architecture, development process, and a few gotchas
   of deploying a web application on Heroku using their free Postgresql
   instance, and the Python libraries 'flask' and 'pg8000'
   - *MM - Japhy/Sebastian - Mining and charting*
   (0:07:00 Minutes)
   By: Japhy Bartlett
   We'll go over how to set up a daemon for mining public data using
   tornado, then loading that data into some web based charts.
   - *ChiPy Mentorship 7-Minute Retrospective*
   (0:07:00 Minutes)
   By: Paul Ebreo
   Tom Yarrish and Paul Ebreo will talk about their experience of the 12
   week mentorship program. They will talk about what went well and what went
   not-so well. They will share what they learned and give tips and tricks for
   a successful mentor/mentee relationship. Paul is very passionate about
   programming, software testing, open hardware and teaching and Tom is a
   Digital Forensic Analyst and teaches at Loyola University.
   - *Python Data Science 101 - how mentoring helped me get from raw data
   to SKLearn by Ben Reid*
   (0:07:00 Minutes)
   By: Ben Reid
   Ben will be talking about his experience getting started with Python
   Data Science using pandas and sci-kit learn, with Don's assistance, via the
   Chipy mentoring pilot program. Don is an Independent Technology Consultant,
   iPhone Developer and Software Architect and currently consulting with
   clients using Hadoop. Ben is a Senior Business Development Manager at
   Orbitz Worldwide and is a self taught programmer. Don is @dondrake on
   Twitter and Ben can be reached at https://www.linkedin.com/in/reidbenj
   - *Being A Mentee In The ChiPy Mentorship*
   By: Zachary Kerr
   Mentors can be incredibly valuable in helping understand software. I
   want to share some of the insights I have learned from my mentorship. I
   believe there are important lessons to be learned from mentors that can
   make programming a much better experience.

--
Brian Ray
@brianray