[Chicago] Opinions on Python Anywhere and Python Web Frameworks

Jason Wirth wirth.jason at gmail.com
Sun Jan 25 23:17:20 CET 2015

Aaron,

I give 2 thumbs up for Python Anywhere (I'm a paying customer). There is a
free hacker account if you just want to demo it. Library and framework
support is great -- it's easy to set up and get going with multiple
frameworks so you can try them out and pick the one that suits you best.
They also support for Numpy, IPython and the scientific stuff which could
be important if you run a math blog. As far as interactivity, they power
the interactive demo on Python.org.) They provide a
"<YOUR_NAME>.pythonanywhere" but you need to bring a domain to the party to
run multiple apps. Also, I think they have about 10 minutes of downtime to
reboot servers every once in a while -- probably not a deal breaker for
you, but could be for some who require guaranteed 100% uptime.

If you want to publish a math blog on a static host look at using Pelican
as a static site generator and IPython notebooks. Jake uses that to publish
his SKLearn stuff. (See this as an example:
https://jakevdp.github.io/blog/2013/12/01/kernel-density-estimation/)

Best,
Jason

--