[Chicago] Trip Report: Django Birthday

sheila miguez shekay at gmail.com
Tue Jul 28 18:22:47 CEST 2015

At work we share trip reports when we go to conferences. I went to Django
Birthday and my trip report is appended below after the -----.

There were more talks than I described. I only picked a few to share
descriptions about. People can see them all on pyvideo.

Someone replied to my trip report and said that the DjangoGirls organizers,
Ola and Ola, are working on a python book, <http://yaypython.com/>.

I brought up the celebration-style aspect of a DjangoGirls event in my trip
report because I didn't realize how significant this can be. I may try that
in the future if I have more classes. In the past I had afternoon snacks
but nothing so celebratory.

Contextualizing Django in the problem domain (journalism) and town history
(there was an abolitionist press that was destroyed during the sacking of
Lawrence) was interesting, so I mentioned that talk in my trip report even
though it wasn't about python or the framework directly.

The changlog greatest hits talk was interesting -- since I didn't start
using django until >1.4 I don't have all the experience most people there
had and I didn't go through all the growing pains.

The accessibility talk was informative, and it is something I want everyone
to think about when picking venues for user group meetings and events.
Accessibility is a huge factor in why I host project nights at Braintree.
I'm really happy that they host us. This talk mentions nursing rooms and
quiet spaces, and I hadn't thought of that before -- so I will ask to see
if there are quiet rooms available for project night. I think there are,
but I haven't checked nor made arrangements to guide people to them.