[Chicago] Carl and video

Carl Karsten carl at personnelware.com
Thu Jun 11 00:52:06 CEST 2015

I need to correct some things.

I am not a team.  I am a chipy member that has a ton of gear and
expertise.  I  likes making videos of things like chipy talks.   For larger
events like PyCon I will assemble a team of volunteers for that event.
There is a group of about 6 of us that work together on the software and
workflow.  I am the only one that lives in the US.  They generally don't
know ChiPy happens unless we are experimenting with the live stream system.

I feel uncomfortable saying I charge money for doing chipy videos.  That
implies I am making videos because I think it is profitable and won't if I
don't get paid.  I am comfortable saying I will sell add space on the front
of the video, and will spend the money on whatever I feel like. In the last
12 months,  I have collected a total of about $1000.  ChiPy took out 20%.

I have a for profit LLC.  It makes the PyCon expense reimbursement process
100x easier.  I could be a 501c3, but my accountant said "don't bother, you
are not making enough money for it to be worth the paperwork."

Here is what I "charge" to setup my PA system and do video:

Find three companies and collect some amount to have their logo put on the
title of the video.

For the how and why details: http://whiteboard.debian.net/34c94c.txt2

On Sat, Jun 6, 2015 at 8:30 AM, Jimmy Calahorrano via Chicago <
chicago at python.org> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> we are looking for a company that would be willing to sponsor the video
> production for next meeting.
>
> Next meeting will cover Spark which is becoming a hot topic these days.
> The first company that offers 200 USD will have it's logo included at the
> beginning of the video and it will be the sole sponsor for the video
>
> There are 2 video production teams at this time helping ChiPy, the first
> is Carl's team and the second is my team. We help based in our availability.
> We don't charge any money for this, however we rely on support from
> companies that can help us paying for parking, editing costs and
> mobilization of the equipment.
>
> Thanks,
> Jimmy
>
> Agenda for new meeting:
>

>    - *PyCon 2015 Review*
>    (0:05:00 Minutes)
>    By: Jason Wirth
>    - *Introduction to PySpark*
>    (1:00:00 Minutes)
>    By: Nusreth Baig
>    Big Shoulders Data Camp presents an “Introduction to PySpark”. One of
>    our top instructors and data scientists, Adam McElhinney, will be giving a
>    talk on working with PySpark, and presenting a use case. Audience is
>    encouraged to come prepared to take notes, ask questions, and get a
>    high-level understanding on one of Python's many analytical libraries.

Carl K