[Chicago] Carl and video

Carl Karsten carl at personnelware.com
Thu Jun 11 21:09:50 CEST 2015

You're welcome.

Not quite 10 years, and it's hard to figure out exactly when to start.

2007 was when I started trying to make videos of talks.  I am not sure if
any of those meetings ever made it online.  I might have the files on my
old desktop that is on a shelf in my basement.

2008 is when I discovered the Debian Conference Video Team wiki that showed
me a better way to do things.    Even then it took a few months to adapt
their 5 day conference procedures to a 2 hour meeting.

PyCon 2009 was my first grand slam. All talks and all but one tutorial.

As long as we are digging in history, here is one of my favourites:

Mindblowing Python GIL

Presented by David Beazley at ChiPy on June 11, 2009
http://pyvideo.org/video/588/mindblowing-python-gil

which had like 12,000 views, then this tweet happened:

Guido van Rossum ‏@gvanrossum 26 Jun 2009
Who wants to *fix* the GIL for multi-core use? (NOT remove it.) Start with
Dave Beazley's amazing preso - http://blip.tv/file/2232410
https://twitter.com/gvanrossum/status/2348060772

and in searching for that, I had no idea how many times the talk was
tweeted about:
https://twitter.com/search?q=Mindblowing%20Python%20GIL&src=typd

To bad blip.tv dumped my accounts.

On a happy note,  I hear that video inspired some changes to the core C
Python GIL stuff.
That makes me feel good.

On Thu, Jun 11, 2015 at 9:06 AM, Rob Kapteyn <robkapteyn at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hey Carl!
> Thank You so much for doing this so well for so long for our little
"hobbyist group" ;)
> It is almost 10 years since you started -- isn't it ?
>
> It is a tribute both to you and to your technology (lots of python) that
so many people seem to think that
> your productions and web hosting are paid professional work.
> We owe you LOTS of thanks for your work.
>
> I'm sure that the ChiPy videos on PyVideo have played a big part in the
explosive growth of both ChiPy, in Chicago, and Python, in the world.

> THANKS!
>
> On Wed, Jun 10, 2015 at 5:52 PM, Carl Karsten <carl at personnelware.com>
wrote:

>> I need to correct some things.
>>
>> I am not a team.  I am a chipy member that has a ton of gear and
expertise.  I  likes making videos of things like chipy talks.   For larger
events like PyCon I will assemble a team of volunteers for that event.
There is a group of about 6 of us that work together on the software and
workflow.  I am the only one that lives in the US.  They generally don't
know ChiPy happens unless we are experimenting with the live stream system.

>> I feel uncomfortable saying I charge money for doing chipy videos.  That
implies I am making videos because I think it is profitable and won't if I
don't get paid.  I am comfortable saying I will sell add space on the front
of the video, and will spend the money on whatever I feel like. In the last
12 months,  I have collected a total of about $1000.  ChiPy took out 20%.

>> I have a for profit LLC.  It makes the PyCon expense reimbursement
process 100x easier.  I could be a 501c3, but my accountant said "don't
bother, you are not making enough money for it to be worth the paperwork."

>> Here is what I "charge" to setup my PA system and do video:
>>
>> Find three companies and collect some amount to have their logo put on
the title of the video.

>> For the how and why details: http://whiteboard.debian.net/34c94c.txt2
>>

>> On Sat, Jun 6, 2015 at 8:30 AM, Jimmy Calahorrano via Chicago <
chicago at python.org> wrote:

>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> we are looking for a company that would be willing to sponsor the video
production for next meeting.

>>> Next meeting will cover Spark which is becoming a hot topic these days.
>>> The first company that offers 200 USD will have it's logo included at
the beginning of the video and it will be the sole sponsor for the video

>>> There are 2 video production teams at this time helping ChiPy, the
first is Carl's team and the second is my team. We help based in our
availability.
>>> We don't charge any money for this, however we rely on support from
companies that can help us paying for parking, editing costs and
mobilization of the equipment.

>>> Thanks,
>>> Jimmy
>>>
>>> Agenda for new meeting:
>>>
>>> PyCon 2015 Review
>>> (0:05:00 Minutes)
>>> By: Jason Wirth
>>> Introduction to PySpark
>>> (1:00:00 Minutes)
>>> By: Nusreth Baig
>>> Big Shoulders Data Camp presents an “Introduction to PySpark”. One of
our top instructors and data scientists, Adam McElhinney, will be giving a
talk on working with PySpark, and presenting a use case. Audience is
encouraged to come prepared to take notes, ask questions, and get a
high-level understanding on one of Python's many analytical libraries.

>> --
>> Carl K

Carl K