[Chicago] Just sharing with everyone in the group.

Sam Walker walkersam at gmail.com
Wed Mar 4 05:41:24 CET 2015

Hi Douglas,

Again, not sure how much off-topic chatter is appreciated here so I'll keep
it short...

For a low-maintenance recovery solution on linux, I think most people would
advise installing  /home on a separate partition. Then in theory you just
reinstall the OS while leaving your /home partition alone. You might run
into minor quirks and of course you'd have to get all your packages set up
again.

If you want all the snazzy file-level history stuff you'd need to look at a
file system like ZFS.

And regardless of your setup, a scheduled `rsync` script to back up /home
is a pretty foolproof route. You could even use python to give this script
a fancy GUI (bingo! On-topic ;> )

If you erased your disk and *really* need to recover files from it you can
do some tricks with `dd`, but only if you haven't overwritten it yet, which
it sounds like you did.

—Sam