[Chicago] Is pypi.python.org really running with a self-signed cert?

Robare, Phillip (Randstant) proba at allstate.com
Fri Mar 6 21:10:04 CET 2015

I have found that the problem is that Cygwin does not come with any certificates.  curl and wget are looking for them in the Cygwin directory /usr/ssl which holds a link to an empty certificate bundle.  StackOverflow has a discussion at http://stackoverflow.com/questions/9224298/how-do-i-fix-certificate-errors-when-running-wget-on-an-https-url-in-cygwin.  Unfortunately the suggestions there did not work for me, probably because of a lack of administrative privs on this machine.  There is a script at https://github.com/bagder/curl/blob/master/lib/firefox-db2pem.sh that will take the certificates out of Firefox and put them into a bundle, and said bundle is supposed to work with curl.  Another option is that OpenSSL on their page http://curl.haxx.se/docs/caextract.html offers a cert bundle that can retrieved through the web browser.  That last is what I will probably do although trusting stuff downloaded without even a verification hash seems wrong.  Although not as wrong as turning off certificate checking in curl.

Phil Robare
probare at rcnchicago.com