[Chicago] Golang vs Python slides

Matthew Erickson matt at soulrobotic.com
Sat May 16 19:13:34 CEST 2015

Go really doesn't like being an extension language; it's much happier and easier to work with it being the main() for the program.

-- Matt

On May 16, 2015, at 12:35, kirby urner <kirby.urner at gmail.com<mailto:kirby.urner at gmail.com>> wrote:

The more I think about it, the more I wish I had infinite free time to just re-write it in Go and see what happens :P

Me too, and infinite brains to go with the time. :-D

A followup question would be:

Give we have ways to extend CPython in C++ etc. might we have a way to architect modules in Go that CPython could import?

During execution, control would be handed over to Go, so concurrency problems might be solved even if the GIL is not actually bypassed.

Even with GIL, a Go extension module might just be more intuitive and easier to maintain, yet Python coders get an API they can use directly?

Just a thought.

Python controls a Tk process written in tcl, and the wx process written in C++ (wxPython), so some kind of bridge to Go stuff seems in the cards.

Kirby

Chris Foresman
chris at chrisforesman.com<mailto:chris at chrisforesman.com>