[Chicago] Python for mortgages???

Lewit, Douglas d-lewit at neiu.edu
Sun May 17 12:45:17 CEST 2015

Hey there ladies and gents,

I'm kind of proud of this, my latest little Python project.  I know my
Formatter class is very Java-like, but hey, why not?  I've actually had
more formal training in Java than in Python, so it makes sense that I bring
a certain amount of the Java paradigm to my Python programming projects,
which may not necessarily be a bad thing.  In chatting with CS professors
and others in the community, I still get the feeling that a lot of people
still think of Java as a "grownup programming language" while Python is
just good for newbies, kids, and amateur programmers.  It's an attitude
that I really don't like, and of course most of the people with that
opinion have not really used Python that much anyhow!  So I kind of enjoy
exploring the OOP aspects of Python and other pretty heavy-duty aspects of
Python, demonstrating that it is just as much a grownup programming
language as Java.  Unfortunately I have not yet explored the web page
development capabilities of Python, but that is definitely on my to-do list
for the near future.

This program asks the question, "If I borrow some money to buy a house at a
certain interest rate (expressed as a percentage) and if I pay a certain
amount of money every month, then how many months will it take for me to
pay off my mortgage?"  Also, what's the total interest going to be?

I really like the program, but if anyone can suggest something to make it
even better, then hey, by all means let me know.  But be polite!  I devoted
a lot of time to this, so please no replies like, "Doug, your program
sucks!"

And if you sell my program to some big real estate company, I want a
percentage of those profits!!!  (I suspect that most realtors use EXCEL to
solve these exact same problems.)

Enjoy the rest of your weekend and I'm looking forward to reading your
feedback and criticisms.

Cheers,

Douglas Lewit

P.S.  I probably should have used Python 3 for this, but I went ahead with
Python 2 for this project.  Sorry guys, but if you run my script with
Python 3 it definitely won't run!  The print statement won't work and
neither will the generators.