[Chicago] Python for mortgages???

Lewit, Douglas d-lewit at neiu.edu
Sun May 17 19:16:27 CEST 2015

Hi Jimmy,

Thanks for the feedback!  Right now I mostly work with the Java crowd.
Honestly, nobody in my department has anything positive to say about Python
other than "it looks good on your resume".  One young lady who used to be
the graduate tutor in my department said, "Oh please, Python?  You can
learn Programming I in Python in just 30 minutes!!!  But C, C++ and Java
take work and study!"  But she was an arrogant little know-it-all and
-----.  (I'll let you use your imagination to fill in the blank! )

Personally, I like the "feel" of the "weakly typed" or dynamic languages,
such as Perl, Ruby and Python.  They remind me a lot of Maple and
Mathematica, which provided me with my first experiences in real computer
programming.  Java isn't bad, but I'm not thrilled with how people in my
department teach Java.

I want to flesh out the program a wee bit more.  Add more info to the
tuples, such as the amount of principal paid up to that point, the amount
of interest paid up to that point (or month I mean), and.... I guess that's
it!  I haven't got a clue how this would work for a *variable* rate
mortgage!  That would get VERY complicated!  With a fixed rate mortgage you
know that your payment must be greater than (amount borrowed)*(1 +
rate/1200) or you will never pay off your mortgage.  Your debt would either
remain the same or continue to accumulate more interest and actually get
larger.