[Chicago] Anaconda vs. IDLE.

David Rock david at graniteweb.com
Thu Oct 15 15:21:43 CEST 2015

* Lewit, Douglas <d-lewit at neiu.edu> [2015-10-15 08:08]:

> *//anaconda/bin:/Users/administrator/anaconda/bin:/Users/administrator/anaconda/bin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/sbin*
>

> Now let's turn to IDLE for a moment.
>

> *import os*
>
> *print( os.getenv("PATH") )*
>

> *'/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/sbin'  ####  NOT the same as above!!!*
>
> If anyone can provide a solution I would be very grateful.  Is there some
> way (using "os" or "sys" functions) that I can get IDLE to "see" my
> computer's complete path?  I tried to find a solution on Stack Overflow,
> but the stuff I found there was a little incoherent.

How are you starting IDLE?  If you are starting it from the Terminal, it should inherit the same $PATH.

As for setting it within IDLE, you used os.getenv to see $PATH, try using os.putenv to set it:

os.putenv("PATH","/anaconda/bin:/Users/administrator/anaconda/bin:/Users/administrator/anaconda/bin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/sbin")

--
David Rock
david at graniteweb.com