[Chicago] Fun with Prime Numbers and the Filter command.

Lewit, Douglas d-lewit at neiu.edu
Sat Oct 31 23:05:48 EDT 2015

*Happy Halloween ChiPy!*

*I was messing around with a program to find prime numbers up to a
user-entered upper limit.  To that end I employed the "filter" command in
the spirit of functional programming.  The function I passed to the filter
command was my named function, "primeFunc", which contains and if-elif-else
structure.  I tried passing an unnamed (i.e. anonymous) function to the
filter command, but noticed that if the anonymous function (declared as a
lambda expression) contains an if-elif-else structure, then Python returns
an error.  So here's my question for anyone who may have a solution.  Is
there a way to pass to filter a lambda expression or any other type of
anonymous function that contains various conditional expressions?  Is there
a way?  What I did works quite nicely of course, but.... it would be nice
to do the same thing with an unnamed or anonymous function rather than
using a previously programmer-defined (or named) function.*

*Thanks and Happy Halloween!!!  ( Or Happy Samhain, for those interested in
black cats, pentagrams, and midnight rituals under the light of the full
moon! )*

*Spooky regards,*

*Douglas Lewit*