[Chicago] Python Hype

Skip Montanaro skip.montanaro at gmail.com
Thu Apr 28 11:03:48 EDT 2016

"So if I were to position Python at the peak, which I'm not going to
spoil the results you will see at my talk, then it would be right on
"Activity beyond early adopters", and before "Negative press begins"."

Brian,

The "problem" with Python (if you can call it that) is that it is
mature technology. It's not like a Unicorn whose weaknesses have yet
to be revealed. To the extent that there is negative press, it
happened a long time ago. The big problems are/were the GIL and
general performance (hard to optimize). Projects like PyPy, Nuitka,
Cython and others are making headway in these areas I think. Future
negative press will probably only emerge if all of them flop.

Just my 2¢

Skip