[Chicago] PostgreSQL and Python [sheila miguez]

William E. S. Clemens wesclemens at gmail.com
Mon Feb 8 14:48:14 EST 2016

I have two suggestions:

First, it looks to me that pandas has a win64 Psycopg2 build on
anaconda.org[1],
I would try installing this before using pg8000 in pip. I don't use
anaconda personally so I maybe leading you down the wrong path.

Second, when people have the problem you described above with imports not
working from within Idle but working from the command line it's almost
always you'r running two different python installations. You can start Idle
form the command line like such `python -m idlelib` and it will ensure that
you are running with the same version of python as the command line.

I hope this helps.

[1] http://anaconda.org/pandas/psycopg2

On Mon, Feb 8, 2016 at 10:52 AM, Leon Shernoff <leon at mushroomthejournal.com>
wrote:

> Thanks, Sheila!
>
> Well, I guess Anaconda has taken over my normal package deployment path.
> :-) I decided to do test-driven :-) installation and run the pip command
> from my default shell location, and then do it from the Anaconda directory.
> But after running it from my default directory, I can now import pg8000 in
> Anaconda, but not in IDLE. So I guess all my future packages are going to
> Anaconda whether I like it or not, but in the meantime this is what I was
> trying to do so it's all good. :-)
>

> Date: Fri, 5 Feb 2016 08:56:12 -0600
> From: sheila miguez <shekay at pobox.com>
> To: The Chicago Python Users Group <chicago at python.org>
> Subject: Re: [Chicago] PostgreSQL and Python [Leon Shernoff]
>
> When you use conda at the command line to create the environment, if you
> want to use pip you can add it to your conda environment. Then, at the
> command line, run the pip install command. Not in the python console. Does
> that work?
>
> --
> Best regards,
>     Leon
>
> "Creative work defines itself; therefore, confront the work."
>      -- John Cage
>

> Leon Shernoff
> 1511 E 54th St, Bsmt
> Chicago, IL  60615