[Chicago] Resolving lists within lists within lists within .....

Lewit, Douglas d-lewit at neiu.edu
Thu Feb 18 15:01:55 EST 2016

Aaron,

That is really cool!  I didn't try the code yet, but just traced through
the logic of it.  I really like it.  I'm guessing that with your second
example you would need to use something like:

try:
    print( next(y) )
except StopIteration:
    pass

because eventually "next" just "runs out" and then Python raises its
StopIteration Error.  ( Although I'm kind of wondering if there's a way to
make "next" circular so that when it "runs out" it just goes right back to
the original yield statement.  I remember doing that once and it worked,
but.... I kind of forgot how to do that. )

Aaron, you mentioned that recursion is not one of Python's strong points.
Why is that the case and what could the developers do to enhance Python's
capabilities for implementing recursive algorithms.  Thanks for sharing.

Best,

Douglas.

On Thu, Feb 18, 2016 at 1:43 PM, Aaron Elmquist <elmq0022 at umn.edu> wrote:

> [...]
>>>
>>> It's tempting, but it fails in a lot of ways. It successfully flattens a
>>> list of lists, but doesn't go any deeper than that and fails completely on
>>> a list composed of some lists and some non-list objects. You can also get
>>> the same behavior out of a list comprehension.
>>>
>>> Douglas, you have written a recursive function, but I think you've
>>> missed on what the base case is. The base case is not whether or not you've
>>> been passed an empty list, but rather whether an element is a list or not
>>> (if it's not, you don't need any further flattening. Also, all those
>>> indices don't look very pythonic.
>>>
>>> Here is a recursive flatten function that will handle any depth and
>>> mixed depths at different elements (no indexing required)
>>>
>>> def flatten(lst):
>>>     new_list = []
>>>     for element in lst:
>>>         if isinstance(element, list):
>>>             new_list.extend(flatten(element))
>>>         else:
>>>             # This is the base case where the recursion ends
>>>             new_list.append(element)
>>>
>>>     return new_list

>>> [1, 1.1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8]
>>>
>>> On Mon, Feb 15, 2016 at 9:09 PM, Joshua Herman <zitterbewegung at gmail.com
>>> <mailto:zitterbewegung at gmail.com>> wrote:
>>> The idea of flattening a object or datatype is a functional programming
>>> technique and not just a part of Ruby and Mathematica According to this
>>> answer on the programming stack exchange there is no method / function that
>>> implements flatten for build in Python functions but you can get almost
>>> there with itertools.chain.from_iterable . See
>>> http://programmers.stackexchange.com/questions/254279/why-doesnt-python-have-a-flatten-function-for-lists
>>> .
>>> On Feb 15, 2016, at 4:12 PM, Lewit, Douglas <d-lewit at neiu.edu<mailto:
>>> d-lewit at neiu.edu>> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi everyone,
>>>
>>> Well it's President's Day and I've got the day off!  Hooray!!!  Finally
>>> some time to just relax and mess around.  So I'm at my computer playing
>>> around with Python and wondering how to resolve the issue of multiple lists
>>> embedded within other lists.  I came up with two functions that I think
>>> solve the problem.  But I was wondering if Guido or someone else added a
>>> builtin function or method that does this automatically for the
>>> programmer.  Or is there an easier way?  Okay.... thanks.  ( In case you're
>>> wondering why I called the function "flatten" it's because I know from
>>> experience that Wolfram Mathematica and Ocaml have these "flatten"
>>> functions.  I think Ruby has something similar, but I haven't played with
>>> Ruby in a while so I'm not really sure. )  The try: except block is
>>> important because you can't subscript non-list data structures in Python.
>>> The IndexError is what you get when you try to index an empty list.  So I
>>> ****think**** my try: except block covers most commonly encountered
>>> exceptions when working with lists embedded within other lists.

>>> try: