[Chicago] The list

Rob Kapteyn robkapteyn at gmail.com
Sun Feb 21 21:08:48 EST 2016

I know what you are feeling -- code-shame and the impostor syndrome -- but
that is NOT how Python became the center of a strong and vibrant community.

Read the Zen of Python again.
It is NOT a guide to some fictional pure "idiomatic" python.
It says:  "practicality beats purity."

I've been involved with python long enough to remember the "old days" of
python 2.1.
Back then, the Perl people would criticize Python because they could do
stuff in 10 characters that we needed 3 lines for,
the Ruby people would criticize Python because functions weren't first
class objects (they are today),  functional programming people criticized
the lack of "tail call optimization", and almost every other kind of
programmer hated the white-space requirement.

I loved python because it was clean, easy to understand and it let me get
things done.

It is telling that a lot of Python's most popular tools were NOT created by
computer scientists and were certainly NOT created
using the latest pythonic "idioms".  matplotlib and django come to mind.

Today, it looks to me like Perl and Ruby are slowly disappearing and a lot
of those people are coming to Python with their ultra-nerdy
greater-than-thou "right-way" attitude.

Ignore these people and just focus on getting something done.

It is good to know what is efficient and what isn't, but that is rarely a
real factor in any real project.
The "Zen" says nothing about efficiency and "idioms".

"Idioms" are good to know and are often very nice, but sometimes they
impose patterns that are not actually good for your project.

Sometimes, I knowingly write inefficient code -- think of to no-no of
"premature optimization" -- and smile ;)
That is closer to "the Python way" than this phony "idiomatic" fad that
seems to be hitting the Python world lately.

Just my opinion ;)
Rob