[Chicago] Sharing an iPython notebook instance

Safia Abdalla safia at safia.rocks
Wed Mar 9 19:38:56 EST 2016

Mike,

I’m going to assume that you connect to the Notebook hosted on some remote server provided by your company.

If you run the Notebook using `jupyter notebook` on your command line you are starting up a local web app which doesn’t require Internet (all dependencies are stored locally).

Safia

On Wed, Mar 09, 2016 at 5:00 PM Mike Tamillow

<
mailto:Mike Tamillow <mikaeltamillow96 at gmail.com>
> wrote:

Why does it run without an Internet connection?

Sent from my iPhone

On Mar 9, 2016, at 3:07 PM, Safia Abdalla <
mailto:safia at safia.rocks
> wrote:

All,

Yep! The Notebook is a web application that utilizes that Tornado web framework, the Notebooks themselves are stored locally when you run `jupyter notebook` on your machine but can really be stored anywhere.

As for the exact status of real-time collaboration, the goal is to get the big 5.0 release of the Notebook out before we start

development

on real-time collaboration. However, there have been several technical discussions around this already and some work has been done to integrate Jupyter Notebook with Google Drive (
https://github.com/jupyter/jupyter-drive
), though I don’t think it allows simultaneous document editing.

If you are interested in more nuanced technical discussion about it, the Jupyter Notebook gitter (
https://gitter.im/jupyter/notebook
) would be a great place to ask questions about progress on this and get answers from the core team.

Best,

Safia

On Wed, Mar 09, 2016 at 2:48 PM Carl Karsten

<
mailto:Carl Karsten <carl at personnelware.com>
> wrote:

"The Jupyter Notebook is a web application..."
http://jupyter.org

On Wed, Mar 9, 2016 at 11:28 AM, Michael Tamillow

<
mailto:mikaeltamillow96 at gmail.com

wrote:

hmmm, the notebooks are local. I would have to imagine this would need to be a web app.

On Wed, Mar 9, 2016 at 11:20 AM, Leon Shernoff

<
mailto:leon at mushroomthejournal.com

wrote:

Hi,

and thanks for the responses to my query about multiple people using a Jupyter notebook at the same time. To answer Mike Tamillow's question about what I was trying to do with it, I have a friend in another country who is starting Python and has made a simple Battleships game as an assignment. I just thought it would be fun to have a Jupyter notebook where you could open the same notebook, each have your own cell to house your battleships and guesses, space things so the other person's cell would not be visible without scrolling, and play battleships over teh interwebz.

Safia, at the
https://github.com/jupyter/roadmap
link that you gave,

"Real-time collaboration on the notebook, text editor, and other plugins."

is listed as a Future development for the Notebook. Is that where this stands in the project's development schedule, or am I missing it on that page

--

Best regards,

    Leon

"Creative work defines itself; therefore, confront the work."

     -- John Cage

Leon Shernoff

1511 E 54th St, Bsmt

Chicago, IL  60615