[Chicago] Regarding Text Editors

Chris Sinchok chris at sinchok.com
Tue Nov 1 12:15:12 EDT 2016

If we're talking editors, I'd like to speak up for Visual Studio Code (
https://code.visualstudio.com/). I've been using it instead of Sublime for
the last couple of months, and I really really like it. I suppose I was
just prejudiced against Microsoft products, and that's why I hadn't tried
it out before.

At least for Python, it's pretty damn good. Basically, it doesn't ship with
any built-in language support, but there's a really good Python language
extension (
https://marketplace.visualstudio.com/items?itemName=donjayamanne.python),
and after I installed that everything just worked really smoothly.
Copying/pasting from the features list:

  - Linting (Prospector, Pylint, pycodestyle/Pep8, Flake8, pydocstyle with
config files and plugins)
  - Intellisense (autocompletion)
  - Scientific tools (Jupyter/IPython)
  - Auto indenting
  - Code formatting (autopep8, yapf, with config files)
  - Code refactoring (Rename, Extract Variable, Extract Method, Sort
Imports)
  - Viewing references, code navigation, view signature
  - Excellent debugging support (remote debugging, mutliple threads,
django, flask)
  - Unit testing, including debugging (unittest, pytest, nosetests, with
config files)
  - Execute file or code in a python terminal
  - Local help file (offline documentation)
  - Snippets

I've found it to work really well, and with a lot less hassle than Sublime
(I was always messing with my Sublime plugins).

 - Chris