[Chicago] Regarding Text Editors

Carl Karsten carl at personnelware.com
Tue Nov 1 12:45:07 EDT 2016

On Mon, Oct 31, 2016 at 3:00 PM, Aswin kumar <programo.sapien at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Do people in industry use Vim editor or Emacs for software development
> in their office or do they use an IDE?

I use vim 95% of the time that I am editing code and PyCharm when I need
fancy debugging UI.

Note that I only edit code about 4 hours a week. I also spend a fair amount
of time outside of editors, like poking at nodevember.org to try and find
their schedule data, or grepping svg files to make sure the object IDs are
set, or scanning a stack of paper and playing with image processing to ocr
and link png file names to rows in a db.

I suspect people who spend more timing looking at code are likely to invest
more time in an IDE so that they make better use of the time working with
code.

--
Carl K