[Chicago] OpenALPR - Transformations

Jordan Bettis jordanb at hafd.org
Fri Nov 4 13:52:44 EDT 2016

I've not used OpenALPR but mathematically what you need is projective
geometry.

Presumably you should be able to obtain reference shape like that of the
license plate itself.

It will be a quadrilateral that won't be a rectangle unless your line of
sight is perpendicular to the plate's plane. Your job is determine the
geometric transformations you need to turn it into a rectangle. Then,
apply the same transformations to the contents of the image.

Here's an example of transforming an irregular quadrilateral into a
rectangle using scikit-image:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/33283088/transform-irregular-quadrilateral-to-rectangle-in-python-matplotlib#33288851