[Chicago] ChiPy August 2018 Main Meeting

Joe Jasinski joe.jasinski at gmail.com
Wed Aug 8 08:45:51 EDT 2018

ChiPy,

The August main meeting is almost here. We have some great talks lined up.
Hope to see you all there!

*When: *Aug. 9, 2018, 6 p.m.
6:00pm Doors open
6:30pm: Meeting Starts

*How:*You can RSVP at chipy.org <http://www.chipy.org/> or via our Meetup
<https://www.meetup.com/_ChiPy_/events/253543347/> group.

*Where:*
Sully's House
1501 N Dayton St, Chicago, IL 60642

*What:*

   - *Pandas MultiIndex Tutorial and Best Practices*
   By: Zax
   Experience Level: Novice
   While Pandas is one of the most well known Python libraries for working
   with array-like data, many users limit themselves to just two dimensions
   of data. This talk will walk through Pandas' MultiIndex DataFrames, which
   extend traditional DataFrames by enabling effective storage and
   manipulation of arbitrarily high dimension data in a 2-dimensional tabular
   structure. ((If that sentence doesn't make sense yet, don't worry - it
   should by the end of the tutorial.)) While the displayed version of a
   multiindexed DataFrame doesn't appear to be much more than a
   prettily-organized regular DataFrame, it's actually a pretty powerful
   structure if the data warrants its use. This talk is beginner friendly, and
   will start from the assumption of having never used Pandas, though some
   Pandas experience will aid understanding.
   - *Interactive Introspection with `ls`*
   By: Aly Sivji
   Experience Level: Novice
   Walkthrough of `python-ls`, a new utility that allows users to
   interactively introspect Python objects.
   - *Mocking with MITM*
   By: Quentin Bayart
   Experience Level: Intermediate
   Every developer (eventually) writes tests. Unit tests, Integration
   tests, End-to-end tests, Regression tests.. All of those tests are necessary
   but can become a nightmare when you need to refactor some code. I
   personally don't like the amount of time I spend to manually mock my
   dependencies / functions / objects. This talk is about a simple
   docker-compose / pytest / mitm setup which aims at speeding up the mocking
   process and the maintenance of those mocks when refactoring or when
   updating the interface of your services. Q&A: Many of you are dealing with
   this mocking process regularly so you can expect many comments / questions
   if you come to this talk :) Contact: Quentin Bayart, Software Engineer @
   Nielsen qbayart at hawk.iit.edu https://github.com/QuentinBay A couple of
   days before the presentation, I will push my demo to my github so you
   should be able to find it there after the presentation.
   - *Python Magic Methods*
   By: Nick Timkovich
   Experience Level: Intermediate
   Everything in Python is an object and nothing is special. Python's
   built-in objects can be added, called, indexed, or with'd, and with a little
   magic, so can yours! Use of magic methods, those prefixed/suffixed with
   double underscores, can increase the flexibility of your code while also
   making it shorter and simpler.

*Thank you always to all our sponsors, including our Diamond sponsors:
Metis and TelnyxAlso thank you to our Platinum sponsors: Braintree,
Imaginary Landscape, Lumere, and Signature Consultants. Also, thank you to
our Silver sponsor: Markit.Please be aware of our code of
conduct http://www.chipy.org/pages/conduct/
<http://www.chipy.org/pages/conduct/>*

--
Joe J. Jasinski