[Chicago] ChiPy: January 2018 Meeting

Joe Jasinski joe.jasinski at gmail.com
Tue Jan 9 09:42:49 EST 2018

Hey ChiPy,

Our January meeting is fast approaching and is sure to be a great meeting!
Please RSVP soon. Also, note that the meeting will start at 6:45 this
month. Looking forward to it!

Thank you to Sprout Social for hosting!

*When:*Jan. 11, 2018, 6 p.m.

6:00pm:  Doors open; food arrives
6:45pm:  Meeting starts / Announcements
7:00pm:  Talks Start promptly at 7

*How:*You can RSVP at chipy.org <http://www.chipy.org/> or via our Meetup
<https://www.meetup.com/_ChiPy_/events/245973026/> group.

*Where:*
Sprout Social
131 S. Dearborn St. Ste. 700 Chicago, IL 60603

*What:*

   - *I Am Open Source (And So Can You!)*
   By: Aly Sivji
   Experience Level: Novice
   Open Source Software (OSS) has changed the world in countless ways and
   has provided us with wonderful innovations such as the Python programming
   language. As Pythonistas, we use OSS every single day but only a fraction
   of us give back to the community. This talk will discuss the benefits of
   contributing to open source in the context of my experience as a newbie
   pandas contributor. I will also provide a Getting Started guide so you,
   too, can become an Open Source Contributor!

   - *Pyo: DSP and synthesis software for Python*
   By: Aaron Krister Johnson
   Experience Level: Novice
   This presentation will introduce "pyo", a C-level library with Python
   bindings that is designed for musical/audio synthesis, and my own software
   "microcsound", which is a score-generation front-end to Csound, a well-know
   audio synthesis programming language. In particular, microcsound was
   designed to allow a richer vocabulary of musical pitch (alt-tuned scales,
   microtones, N-pitches per octave, etc.) than the one available via standard
   12-notes per octave tuning of typical Western music. So, there will be some
   explanation of the historical background that drove the creation of this
   software, but it should be a fascinating topic for all. I will give brief
   demonstrations of the kind of out-of-the-box fun one can have with sound
   using Pyo, and snippets of the kind of work I've done with both it, and
   with microcsound. Anyone interested in the possibilities presented by
   Python software for electronic music, and/or electronic music in general,
   should find this talk interesting, informative, and entertaining.

Thank you always to all our sponsors, including our Diamond sponsor: Metis.
Also thank you to our Platinum sponsors: Braintree, Imaginary
Landscape, Procured
Health, Signature Consultants, and Telnyx.  Also, thank you to our Silver
sponsor: Markit.

Please be aware of our code of conduct http://www.chipy.org/pages/conduct/

--
Joe J. Jasinski