[Chicago] ChiPy March 2018 Main Meeting

Joe Jasinski joe.jasinski at gmail.com
Tue Mar 6 19:22:11 EST 2018

Hi Chipy,

Our March is marching around the corner!  We have a good lineup this month,
so hope to see you there!

Big thanks to Metis <http://www.thisismetis.com> for hosting us this
month!  The event can be livestreamed at: http://bit.ly/2FgK3Tv

*When:*Thurs March. 8, 2018, 6 p.m.

6:00pm:  Doors open; food arrives
7:00pm:  Talks Start promptly at 7

*How:*You can RSVP at chipy.org <http://www.chipy.org/> or via our Meetup
<https://www.meetup.com/_ChiPy_/events/248083302/> group.

*Where:*
Metis
1033 West Van Buren St, 3rd Floor, Chicago

*What:*

   -

*Introduction to Keras By: Chris Gruber  Experience Level: Intermediate
   Keras is a popular framework for building neural networks in Python. Using
   Keras, a developer can define and train a neural network in just a few
   lines of code. Keras also includes a number of pre-built networks to build
   state-of-the-art models for language translation, image recognition, etc.
   This talk will consist of an overview of Keras and its features, and a demo
   in which we build and train a classifier for the MNIST hand-written digit
   dataset.  *
   - *mitmproxy: Lift the veil on server-side HTTP(s) interaction*
   By: Ross Heflin
   Experience Level: Intermediate
   When writing web frontends there's powerful tools for understanding
   backend calls made by a website (Network tab in Chrome, Firefox, Webkit'sm
   Dev Tools and HAR analyzers). These are (reasonably) great for figuring out
   what requests a browser is making to backend servers & what came back. When
   dealing with server-side code its somewhat harder to see all requests made
   to other systems in context of what requests came into the server-side api
   without instrumenting your code with lots of (often incomplete) logging.
   During the last 5 years, I've worked through many issues in various
   languages/frameworks and libraries, where the only common thread was
   (sometimes complex) communication with other systems over HTTP(S) by using
   mitmproxy. This talk will cover a variety of use cases, demonstrating some
   useful capabilities of this versatile tool with minimal (if any) changes to
   existing code regardless of source language, server-side framework, and
   HTTP client used.
   - *Formatted strings in Python 3.6*
   By: Phil Robare
   Experience Level: Novice
   3.6 has introduced a fourth way to format output from a Python program.
   PEP 498 introduced a new kind of string literals: f-strings, or formatted
   string literals. Formatted string literals are prefixed with 'f' and are
   similar to the format strings accepted by str.format(). They contain
   replacement fields surrounded by curly braces. The replacement fields are
   expressions, which are evaluated at run time, and then formatted using the
   format() protocol This talk will give a quick overview of syntax, usage,
   and possibly abuse of this new feature.

Thank you always to all our sponsors, including our Diamond sponsors: Metis
and Telnyx
Also thank you to our Platinum sponsors: Braintree, Imaginary Landscape,
Lumere, and Signature Consultants.
Also, thank you to our Silver sponsor: Markit.

Please be aware of our code of conduct http://www.chipy.org/pages/conduct/

--
Joe J. Jasinski
www.joejasinski.com