[Chicago] ChiPy July 2019 Main Meeting

Joe Jasinski joe.jasinski at gmail.com
Tue Jul 2 20:55:29 EDT 2019

Hi ChiPy,

We have an awesome meeting planned this month! We have a lot of great
speakers and an amazing venue. Join us to have a great time and meet people
who are passionate about the Python language.

Thanks to Strata Decision for hosting us this month!

See you there next week!

*When:*
Thursday July 11, 2019, 6 p.m.

6:00pm: Doors open
6:30pm: Meeting starts

*How:*You can RSVP at chipy.org <http://www.chipy.org/> by noon the day of
the event.

*Where:*
Strata Decision
200 E Randolph St, Chicago, IL 60601

Please check in with the security table, located in the North Lower Lobby,
with your valid Driver's License or State ID. After check-in, please
proceed to the Upper North Lobby for the 50th Floor elevator bank.

*What:*

   -
      - *Lowering the Stakes of Failure with Pre-mortems and Post-mortems*
      By: Elizabeth Sander
      Experience Level: Novice
      Failure can be scary. There are real costs to a company and its users
      when software crashes, models are inaccurate, or when systems go down.
      The emotional stakes feel high-- no one wants to be responsible for a
      failure. We can lower the stakes by creating spaces to learn
from failures,
      and minimize their impact. This talk introduces two ways to address
      failure: blameless post-mortems, to learn from an incident; and
      pre-mortems, to identify modes of failure upfront.
      - *Web Scraping for Fun and Profit (Profit not Included)*
      By: Matt Inwood
      Experience Level: Intermediate
      Not all data is easily accessible. Taking info from a website that
      requires authentication, interaction, or even just to load a
fancy script.
      This talk will discuss using Selenium to level up your web
scraping skills,
      with examples and suggested practices.
      - *Limit the Guesswork in Fantasy Baseball by Using Python for Data
      Analysis*
      By: Nicholas Marey
      Experience Level: Intermediate
      Daily fantasy sports has become a booming industry. One leader in the
      space is Fanduel who after raising $275 million in their series
E funding,
      brought their valuation to over $1 billion. As the popularity of daily
      fantasy sports has taken off, critics have argued that success is the
      result of luck; yet the consistent success of a select group of players
      would suggest that success can be driven by skill. This talk,
will go over
      how one could use Python to level the playing field.
      - *Python @ Strata*
      By: Steven Lefar
      Experience Level: Novice
      An overview of Strata Data Science and python use cases inside the
      company

Thank you always to all our sponsors, including our Diamond sponsors: Metis
and Telnyx
Also thank you to our Platinum sponsors: Braintree, Imaginary Landscape,
Lumere, and Signature Consultants.
Also, thank you to our Silver sponsor: Markit.

Please be aware of our code of conduct http://www.chipy.org/pages/conduct/

--
Joe J. Jasinski
www.joejasinski.com