[Chicago] ChiPy March 2019 Main Meeting: Python Powered Business

Joe Jasinski joe.jasinski at gmail.com
Mon Mar 11 23:05:52 EDT 2019

Hi ChiPy,

In March, we have an exciting meeting planned! Speakers from businesses
around Chicago will present to us about how they use Python within their
companies. It's sure to be an exciting meeting.  Hope to see you there!

And also, happy Pi Day!

Thank you to Price Waterhouse Coopers for sponsoring the venue and food!

Please be sure to RSVP by noon the day of the event.

*When:*March 14, 2019, 6 p.m.

6:00pm Doors open
6:30pm: Meeting starts

*How:*You can RSVP at chipy.org <http://www.chipy.org/> by noon the day of
the event.

*Where:*
Price Waterhouse Coopers
1 North Wacker

*What:*

   - *Python @ Ascent*
   By: Spencer Allee
   Experience Level: Intermediate
   Ascent uses Python for most of its data science, data engineering, and
   machine learning / NLP - I'll give an overview of some of our key apps
   and use cases.
   - *Python at ActiveCampaign*
   By: Ben Levin
   Experience Level: Novice
   ActiveCampaign is using Python to transition from a PHP monolith to
   scalable microservices that can keep pace with the demands of our
rapidly-growing
   customer base, as well as to train and deploy customer-facing ML models.
   - *Python at Imaginary Landscape*
   By: Noel Taylor
   Noel from Imaginary Landscape will discuss, and demonstrate, 'Iscape
   Search', a homegrown web scraper and search engine designed to replace the
   discontinued Google Site Search
   - *Python at Nielsen*
   By: Jordan Bettis
   Jordan will discuss how Nielsen uses Python to connect and process
   massive amounts of data in a next-generation environment.
   - *Python at Panopta*
   By: Jason Abate
   Experience Level: Intermediate
   Python has been one of the fundamental technologies for Panopta's global
   monitoring infrastructure. I'll cover some of the more interesting ways
   we've used Python over the years, and our plans going forward.
   - *Python Powered Business - Quicket Solutions*
   By: Bryan Chance
   Experience Level: Novice
   Python powered platform at Quicket Solutions.
   - *Python at Blick Art Materials*
   By: Naomi Ceder
   Experience Level: Novice
   Blick uses a wide range of technologies across over 70 stores nationwide
   and on 2 e-commerce sties, and Python (and Flask & Django) powers the
   systems we use to price our almost 90,000 items competitively.
   - *Doctors, Devices, Drugs, and Django - Python at a Healthcare Startup*
   By: Scott Sexton
   Experience Level: Novice
   At Lumere, we make software to help hospitals get the clinical data they
   need to make decisions leading to better outcomes and lower costs. We
   use python to power our web application, data science tools, and research
   platform. Why did we decide on python, and how has it enabled us to grow?
   - *Omega Grid's Python Blockchain*
   By: Killian Tobin
   Experience Level: Intermediate
   Omega Grid created a python blockchain to help utilities manage all the
   new solar panels, electric vehicles, and batteries on the grid. We are
   also running a python backend for our public facing rewards platform. We
   launched the rewards platform on Jan 1 in Burlington, VT as part of a peak
   shaving program.
   - *Python at Impossible Objects*
   By: Len Wanger
   Experience Level: Intermediate
   Impossible Objects is an award winning manufacturer of 3D printers for
   the industrial market. We use Python extensively throughout the organization
   from MIS systems, data analysis to preparing models and running our
   printers. This talk is an overview of how Python is used throughout the
   organization.

*Thank you always to all our sponsors, including our Diamond sponsors:
Metis and TelnyxAlso thank you to our Platinum sponsors: Braintree,
Imaginary Landscape, Lumere, and Signature Consultants. Also, thank you to
our Silver sponsor: Markit.Please be aware of our code of
conduct http://www.chipy.org/pages/conduct/
<http://www.chipy.org/pages/conduct/>*

--
Joe J. Jasinski