[ChiPy-announce] [ANN] ChiPy November Meeting this Thurs 14th 7pm at Spartz

Brian Ray brianhray at gmail.com
Tue Nov 12 15:14:04 CET 2013

You are invited to join us for the best meeting ever. We have world famous
Hactivist and long time ChiPy superstar, Peter Fein, who recent appeared
int We are Legion (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2177843/) preseenting on
some measuring tools for iterators. We will learn about "Civic Making" from
Benjamin Sugar and his use of Django. Philip Doctor returns to unveil the
mystery of Monoids; from science to practical.

We thank our first time host, Spartz:

[image: Inline image 1]
*Spartz is a consumer products company specializing researching,
discovering, and using science to build inherently viral products.  If you
find understanding what makes content go viral as interesting as we do, you
may be a great fit to the team.  Check us out at http://www.spartzinc.com
<http://www.spartzinc.com/>*

RSVP Now -> http://chipy.org

*Cost: *FREE
*Live/Recorded Video and AV Coverage:* http://www.nextdayvideo.com/
*Food and Drink:* Provided By Sponsor

*When:* Nov. 14, 2013, 7 p.m.

*Where:* Spartz 358 W Ontario Suite 2E Chicago, IL 60654
*Topics:*

   - *Measure It*
   By: Peter Fein
   measure_it provides timing and counting for iterators (and other code
   segments). https://measure_it.readthedocs.org/en/latest/
   - *CivicLab and Between the Bars*
   (0:15:00 Minutes)
   By: Benjamin Sugar
   In this talk, I will present on a slice of the maker movement called
   "civic making" and a new space that has opened up in Chicago to encourage
   this type creation, CivicLab. As an example of "civic making" I will
   discuss Between the Bars, a paper based blogging platform for those who are
   incarcerated, built in Django. I will also discuss our choice in framework
   and the pros/cons of our approach.
   - *Monoids in Python*
   (0:20:00 Minutes)
   By: Philip Doctor
   Monoids are largely badly explained, but actually quite beautiful. I
   would like to take a brief tour of what a monoid is and how they can help
   out with mundane every day tasks in python.

(Share this invite)

RSVP Now -> http://chipy.org

--
Brian Ray